Mudlark Riverfront Lodge
Make your way to the Mudlark Riverfront Lodge. The lodge is located at the mouth of the Breede River where the Indian Ocean and Breede River meets. At Mudlark Riverfront Lodge, experience and immerse into the awe-striking surroundings encompassing the river, mountains and fynbos.
If it’s a soul-rejuvenating getaway that you’re looking for, the Mudlark Riverfront Lodge offers the perfect Breede River accommodation. The lodge is a three-hour drive from Cape Town.
Not only is the lodge located on the banks of the largest river in the Western Cape, the 22-hectare estate forms part of the Lower Breede River Conservancy. What makes the location of the lodge unique is that no other habitation can be seen. What’s more, the lodge offers magnificent views of the estuary, the Potberg mountains in the distance. The lodge faces north and is protected from the prevailing sea breezes, and is surrounded by fynbos on three sides and the river in front.
See our gallery for all our beautiful pictures of The Mudlark Riverfront Lodge - Breede River, Western Cape, South Africa. Be sure to have a look at our pictures of the view from the riverfront lodge.
The Mudlark River Front Lodge offers exclusivity to residing guests, with unique decorated private rooms. Our menu is renowned for its excellence; using products sourced fresh from the sea, river and surrounding farms. Embracing the West bank of the Breede River, the Mudlark Riverfront Lodge is a small intimate lodge with accommodation for 10 adults, and 4 children. Be sure, have a look at Mudlark Riverfront Lodge accommodation prices.
- This is one of the best whale watching areas in the South Africa, and is known as the" Whale nursery of South Africa". Whales swim close to the cliffs at Cape Infanta and seem to be within touching distance, 85 adult whales and 40 calves counted during the 2011 census.
- The Breede River is a popular fishing hotspot with Kob of up to 50kg, Spotted Grunter, and Garrick up to 12kg regularly caught. As the angling is so good the Breede River is known as the "Home of the Big Kob".
- De Hoop Marine Reserve a World Heritage Site is our neighbour.
- An amazing 205 bird species can be found around the lodge, riverbank, and coast. This area is also part of the Cape Floral Kingdom with hundreds of varieties of fynbos and renosterveld.
- There are various stunning walks and activities on the Breede River including, fishing, fly fishing, water skiing, snorkelling, kite surfing, surfing and sunset cruises.
About the owner: Hilary
The Mudlark Riverfront Lodge was created 27 Years ago when Hilary and Tim decided to leave Hout Bay and move to the Arnott family holiday house and live permanently on the banks of the Breede River. Sadly Tim passed away in 2019, Hilary has continued to run the Mudlark.
Mudlark Riverfront Lodge was the first lodge to open at the mouth of the Breede River. Hilary was one of South Africa’s top women anglers, holding 14 South African National Records, from Kob to Black Marlin. She was the first woman in Africa to land a Broadbill Swordfish. Hilary is an excellent chef, having previously owned and operated a coffee shop in Hout Bay. In 1998 she was also a medal winner in the Overberg Chef of the year, Guest House Category, the only competition that she has entered.
â€¨Hilary is assisted by Rodney and Happiness in the lodge and Victor who looks after the garden and boats.
If you take a walk along the river bank the resident dogs Bree and Kadie might join you.